Having a BBQ…
Here are our top 10 tips to ensure you get your BBQ off to a sizzling start…
- Choose the right fuel – we recommend ‘lumpwood charcoal’ this burns evenly and gives a good BBQ flavour!
- Once your BBQ is lit – don’t be tempted to cook on it too early – this will burn the outsides and leave the middle raw! You want the coals white hot – this means grey and glowing. That’s the hottest and evenest heat and when there is no longer a flame – you are good to go (when we light ours we wait 45mins to an hour)
- Once your BBQ is lit – get all your meat out of the fridge to allow it to come up to room temperature. This will allow the meat to cook evenly
- Invest in some good tools – rubbish tongs means you end up with most of the sausages on the floor. We use a really good set of long tongs and a fish slice – that’s all!
- Don’t be tempted to turn your burgers/meat every 2 minutes – leave each side to cook evenly – otherwise every time you turn the heat isn’t getting to the centre of the burger/sausage or whatever you are cooking!
- Check the meat – sounds silly but make sure you cut into one to ensure that it is cooked through, better still invest in a probe thermometer.
- Rest the meat – CRUCIAL – this allows the meat to absorb moisture and gives a juicer more tender piece of meat
- Be organised – have an idea what cooks the quickest and start with the bigger/longer cooking cuts first – if they are done before the others are, use the edges of the BBQ to keep them warm but not cooking.
- Don’t forget the sides…..the accompaniments can make a BBQ… coleslaw, potato salad, sauces, buns….
- Enjoy it – there is nothing better than a warm sunny day, a bbq sizzling away and a cold beer in hand!